We are all hired for the season, but we are still happy to accept applications in case anything changes.
Open Hands Farm in Northfield, MN is a 17 acre Certified Organic vegetable operation serving as a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) as well as many wholesale accounts.
We’d love for you to join our fun and vibrant crew!
We prefer applicants with prior farm experience, but welcome anyone to apply who is energetic and eager to work and learn. This is a very physically demanding job. Employees must be able to work in all weather conditions, be able to bend over and lift heavy objects on a regular basis, and be detail oriented while working in a fast manner. Since production per hour or day is very important, employees are expected to work quickly and efficiently, to keep up with the pace set by the employers or work quickly on their own. Our goal is to be an efficient and peaceful farm, so in addition to keeping a good pace, we are good to each other and have a good time.
In this position, you will be mainly harvesting, washing, packing produce, weeding and a myriad of other jobs that happen on a farm. There may be tractor work available for qualified applicants. There is a good chance for any of these positions to continue through the winter and beyond, if it is a good fit for all. We store, wash, and sell root veggies throughout the winter.
While this is not an apprenticeship you can expect to learn a lot about running a diverse organic vegetable farm. Pay starts at $14 per hour, and increases each year working with us. Our general work day is an 8 hour day from 8:30- 5:00, with a 1/2 hour unpaid lunch. We do not offer housing, but we are only 2 miles from a small town (Northfield).
How to apply
Please email your resume to openhandsfarm(at)gmail.com with the following details:
Your Name, Address, Phone, Email. Please also include date you are available to start work, and if you have any commitments for time away during the season.
Be sure you include the following information as well:
- Contact information (name, address, phone, email).
- Relevant past work experience, detailing duties and responsibilities and/or resume.
- Applicable past leadership responsibilities and/or community working or living experience.
- Farming and/or gardening goals.
- Physical ability to do the work.
- Tractors used, implements used, and familiarity with tractor tasks, if applicable.
- Date you are available to start work, and if you have any commitments for time away during the season.
- Description of why you are interested in working at Open Hands Farm.
- 2-3 work references, including previous employer, whether farming related or not, and any farm-related work references.
After we get your application information, we will contact and interview qualified candidates. Depending on the time of year, we prefer to have a working interview, so we can meet each other face to face and get a feel as to how we all will work together.