Sweet Melon Salsa
adapted from Rolling Prairie Cookbook
- 11/2 cups finely chopped cantaloupe
- 1 sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 or 2 hot peppers, seeded, and finely minced
- juice of 1 lime (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon honey, turbinado, or brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for at least half an hour to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 2 cups.
Watermelon, Feta, and Arugula Salad with BalsamicGlaze
by Fred Thompson, from Bon Appétit
- 1 5-ounce package baby arugula
- 8 cups 3/4-inch cubes seeded watermelon
- 1 7-ounce package feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze
Arrange arugula over large platter. Scatter watermelon, then feta over. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with pepper.
Balsamic vinegar glaze can be found in the vinegar section at many supermarkets. If unavailable, boil 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan until reduced to 3 tablespoons, 6 to 7 minutes.
Spicy Cucumber-Watermelon Relish
from Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys, & Chow Chows Cookbook
- 2 unpeeled cucumbers, washed, halved, and thinly sliced.
- 1 cup watermelon chunks the size of playing dice, seeded
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together. This will keep for 4 to 5 days.